Sunday, December 7, 2008
It made a modest A$2.3million at the Australian box office, but won a Crystal Bear when it debuted at the Berlin Film Festival in February and led the nominations field at last night's 2008 Australian Film Institute Awards with 11 nods. The Black Balloon has just won six of those awards, including Best Director, Best Original Screenplay and the most prestigious Oz film award of all, Best Film.
Gemma Ward was overlooked in the AFI acting categories - and the film itself sidelined from the winner's podium at the recent IF Awards - but congrats to writer-director Elissa Down and her cast and crew, who also won AFIs for Best Supporting Actress (Toni Collette), Best Supporting Actor (Luke Ford) and Best Editing.
The awards certainly won't hurt the film's chances in the US, where it opened on Friday night - and is already garnering some impressive reviews.
Click here to read the full list of the 2008 AFI Awards winners.
- ► 2013 (63)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- ► 2010 (330)
- ► 2009 (415)
- Are you being Serged? Patrizio di Renzo's hands-do...
- And so this is Christmas
- The Year of Living Bryanously
- Abbey Lee's Gucci x 3
- "Sydney Fashion Week" video a mystery to Sydney Fa...
- Coco pops down
- Tiah Eckhardt bares it all (again) for French Play...
- Coco Rocha: Ready for her Oz closeup
- "Bryan" Phillippe gets yet another taste of Sydney...
- Calvin Klein's latest obsession?
- The Pap Hyatt
- Tallulah takes the veil
- Ryan Phillippe gets a taste of Sydney’s pap frenzy...
- Josh Goot on-schedule again at LFW - with Sienna M...
- Runway to reality: Runway Reporter shutdown blogge...
- ACP Media: Denies websites are shutting, but confi...
- River Phoenix lookalike model dies. Eight weeks la...
- Runway Reporter to shutter as the axe falls at ACP...
- Abbey Lee's Gucci x 2
- The (3D) World is their Oyster
- Ksubi, or not Ksubi: Will Renzo Rosso give a rat’s...
- Six AFIs for The Black Balloon
- Carine to cross the pond?
- ▼ December 2008 (23)