Monday, January 19, 2009
miramax via jurko.net
Yes R.J. Cutler’s US Vogue-dedicated frockumentary, The September Issue, has finally enjoyed its world premier at the Sundance Film Festival with no less than Wintour herself honouring the glacial festival with her notoriously glacial presence. Although in this video, below, of a post-screening Q&A which was uploaded yesterday – with, at the time of writing, a mere 200-odd views – Wintour comes across as quite warm. If a little eccentric – she insists on wearing her trademark sunglasses inside the theatrette, as if she’s front row at a fashion show. Gawker quotes an unnamed tipster who claims Wintour flew economy from Salt Lake City to New York. But one hilarious detail which appears to have escaped Gawker’s attention is the name of the distributor which has reportedly picked up international rights for the film. Elle Driver.
Elle Driver is the name of a bona fide, Paris-based distributor - whose previous films include, amusingly, a Polish production by the name of Four Nights with Anna.
In what frockwriter assumes may have been at the time an industry insider joke made by Quentin Tarantino, the director's fans will recall that Elle Driver is the name of the one-eyed hitwoman played by Daryl Hannah in Tarantino’s Kill Bill films.
A member of the Deadly Viper Assassination Squad (the “DIVAS”) Elle Driver, aka “California Mountain Snake”, plays a key role in both Kill Bill Volume I and II.
At the beginning of the first film, Driver infiltrates the hospital in which Uma Thurman’s character, Beatrix Kiddo, has lain comatose for several years.
Driver has instructions from "Bill" to kill Kiddo - who survives only after Bill, Kiddo's nemesis and former lover, has a change of heart and decides the hospital hit is bad form.
Driver returns in the second film for a spectacular – and somewhat hilarious - Amazonian death-match with Kiddo.
Frankly frockwriter can’t think of a better film distributor for The September Issue. We’re not going even going to touch the Richard Prince/LV naughty nurse connections.
- ► 2013 (63)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- ► 2010 (330)
- The haunting of Carla Bruni-Sarkozy
- Grandmaster flesh and the furious hive mind: The a...
- The Bogan - from Logan?
- Girt by HC
- An embarrassment of riches
- Model ID fail @ ACP
- From the Cobrasnake to the couture
- Caveman of the fashion apocalypse
- Did someone give Kim Noorda The Pip?
- Nothing comes between Courtney, Missy, Myf and the...
- Before Jason Wu dressed the First Lady, he dressed...
- No Australians heading to New York Fashion Week?
- Michelle Obama recalls the Reagan, not Kennedy, er...
- The Devil wears a Q&A @ Sundance, Elle Driver to d...
- And baby makes five
- Lara Stone's bloody Valentine
- The Myf mystery: Bound for the cover of Paris Vogu...
- Battle of the skeletors: Katie vs Posh
- Did someone give Cameron Diaz The Pip?
- Golden Globes - live (kinda) from the red carpet!
- Fat load of good: The Telegraph's yo-yo reporting ...
- Nicole Trunfio settles into her new role as model ...
- Nicole Trunfio, tv star
- Big boys' toys
- Dude, where's my career?
- O what a tangled Web
- Cornish (fashion) language
- The shows to go on for Hoppy McNeil
- Abbey Lee's Gucci x 4
- McBeha on the Park
- ▼ January 2009 (31)
- ► 2008 (229)