Monday, August 31, 2009
Frockwriter first noticed Andrej Pejic at Sydney’s Rosemount Australian Fashion Week in May. Then 17 years old, Pejic was a little hard to miss at Ant!podium’s show: he opened it. And many may well have assumed he was a she. The incredibly androgynous Melbourne-ite has been modelling for 12 months, turned 18 on Friday and is about to complete his HSC (Australian highschool final year exams), with his agency, Chadwick, prepping to send him overseas. After Jethro Cave (who appears on the latest cover of New Zealand’s NO magazine), frockwriter predicts that Pejic will be Australia’s next edgy male modelling star. In its August edition, Australia's Pagesonline dedicated eight pages to Pejic. And he features on no less than 14 pages in the new issue 30 of RUSSH, in this intriguingly-titled, Will Davidson-lensed editorial ‘Creep’.
According to Chadwick Melbourne director Matthew Anderson, the interest in Pejic bucks a dramatic, and quite sudden, conservative shift back to beefier male models in the Australian market.
Notes Anderson, “Over the last 12 months skinny androgyny shifted when the economic crisis hit. Within a three month period we went from scrawn to brawn. Myer going from using Jethro Cave to (former Brit rugby league player) Kris Smith is a good example. In times of economic crisis, subconsciously advertisers seem to be responding to strong guys who look like they’re going to save us. That all-American, chiselled jaw, Abercrombie & Fitch guy seems to be the flavour of the month again”.
all images: courtesy russh
- ► 2013 (63)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- ► 2010 (330)
- Andrej 2010
- Fashion's Nordic horror fetish rocks on
- Charlotte Dawson was a Marc Jacobs muse?
- The downunder Allure of Jezebel?
- Anna Wintour on The Late Show with David Letterman...
- Risko business: Melbourne's mod bloggers face off ...
- Wintour on Letterman: "I reckon that makes me luke...
- V Magazine gets a little Norwegian wood
- Auto (model) portraits
- Cassi explores her window of modelling opportunity...
- Talking dressing your age with ABC Adelaide
- Myer backstage at RSFF
- A chat with Tahnee Atkinson at Myer
- A chat with Jennifer Hawkins at Myer
- Seafolly backstage at RSFF
- London Fashion Week snags sass & bide
- Jayson Brunsdon backstage at RSFF
- Kite Tails: First look at the second summer of Gin...
- Rachel Rutt, Sonny Vandevelde gear up for New York...
- Lui Hon: Project Runway Australia’s Voice of Hope
- Leah Howard helps put the Boogie Nights into Bonds...
- Abbey Lee Kershaw disrobes again....for PURPLE
- Four Australians to show in New York
- Props to Myer for welcoming plus size models onto ...
- David Jones's rainbow children
- On the campaign trail with Miranda Kerr
- A chat with Kelvin Harries
- David Jones Spring/Summer 2009/2010
- Out of Vogue: nipple jewellery
- Forget store wars, now it's a social media skirmis...
- Vogue Australia reaches modelling nirvana via Greg...
- Catherine McNeil and Abbey Lee Kershaw steam it up...
- ▼ August 2009 (32)
- ► 2008 (229)