Wednesday, August 26, 2009
Could Gawker Media's high profile ladyblog Jezebel be heading to Australia for a slice of the A$1.8billion Oz online advertising pie? That's what some are wondering, after spotting this seek.com.au advertisement from Allure Media, which is looking for editorial staff for the imminent launch of "a well-known women's lifestyle network" in this market. The Sydney-based digital publisher already owns the Oz licenses to Gawker Media's Defamer, Gizmodo, Kotaku and Lifehacker - in addition to the local license to parenting blog Babble - a network it claims attracts over 1.65 million readers per month. UPDATE 14/09/09: IT'S NOT JEZEBEL - ALLURE MEDIA ANNOUNCES THE LAUNCH OF THE SUGAR NETWORK INTO AUSTRALIA.
Jezebel, whose promo line is “Celebrity, Sex, Fashion for women, Without Airbrushing”, attracts a monthly audience of 1.4million according to Quantcast, 1.1million of that hailing from the US, with 49percent female readership.
And while the site's edgy, neo-feminist slant has proven popular with readers, others have called out what they claim to be the double-standards of some Jezebel writers who lament the sexualisation of women, while posting degrading images of themselves.
Over the past 12 months the site garnered considerable interest over the mystery surrounding its anonymous model blogger "Tatiana", who unmasked herself last month as Jenna Sauers (although her ID came as no surprise to readers of this blog).
Allure Media's md Chris Janz did not return calls this afternoon and two media buyers told frockwriter that they had as yet heard nothing.
According to Fusion Strategy media analyst Steve Allen, a local Jezebel would be "an interesting move indeed. Allure has come onto our radar because they are building traffic and assets quite quickly".
- ► 2013 (63)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- ► 2010 (330)
- Andrej 2010
- Fashion's Nordic horror fetish rocks on
- Charlotte Dawson was a Marc Jacobs muse?
- The downunder Allure of Jezebel?
- Anna Wintour on The Late Show with David Letterman...
- Risko business: Melbourne's mod bloggers face off ...
- Wintour on Letterman: "I reckon that makes me luke...
- V Magazine gets a little Norwegian wood
- Auto (model) portraits
- Cassi explores her window of modelling opportunity...
- Talking dressing your age with ABC Adelaide
- Myer backstage at RSFF
- A chat with Tahnee Atkinson at Myer
- A chat with Jennifer Hawkins at Myer
- Seafolly backstage at RSFF
- London Fashion Week snags sass & bide
- Jayson Brunsdon backstage at RSFF
- Kite Tails: First look at the second summer of Gin...
- Rachel Rutt, Sonny Vandevelde gear up for New York...
- Lui Hon: Project Runway Australia’s Voice of Hope
- Leah Howard helps put the Boogie Nights into Bonds...
- Abbey Lee Kershaw disrobes again....for PURPLE
- Four Australians to show in New York
- Props to Myer for welcoming plus size models onto ...
- David Jones's rainbow children
- On the campaign trail with Miranda Kerr
- A chat with Kelvin Harries
- David Jones Spring/Summer 2009/2010
- Out of Vogue: nipple jewellery
- Forget store wars, now it's a social media skirmis...
- Vogue Australia reaches modelling nirvana via Greg...
- Catherine McNeil and Abbey Lee Kershaw steam it up...
- ▼ August 2009 (32)
- ► 2008 (229)