Sunday, May 2, 2010
Well we did say RAFW is shaping up as a blogocalypse. And look, frockwriter actually means that in the nicest possible way. A mere whisper at the 2006 event, bloggers are really coming into their own this year. According to The Sydney Morning Herald's Georgina Robinson, whose story about fashion bloggers was splashed on page one of smh.com.au on Thursday, IMG had (as of Wednesday) officially accredited 20 bloggers this year. Robinson later revealed on Twitter that the company had knocked back another 30. In the interim, a number of those knocked back have had their accreditations rushed through. On the eve of RAFW, ABC's Art Nation joins the score of mainstream outlets to track the rise of fashion blogging as part of today's fashion-focussed show. I was honoured to be included, alongside Lady Melbourne and Fashion Hayley (with Sonny Vandevelde featured in either this or a separate story. Sonny was filmed during his recent LMFF exhibition).
The program airs at 5.30pm on ABC1 today and it will be repeated at 7pm on ABC2. Hopefully it will also go online.
In the interim, here is the teaser video from the ABC Art Nation site.
Just to further clarify the accreditation issue for bloggers, some appear to have erroneously believed an accreditation was the only entry point to the event.
An accreditation, while handy, is only a guarantee into the main venue, the trade show, the media centre and the daily group shows that are organised by IMG. The guest lists of all solo collection shows are strictly at the discretion of the designers. Which is exactly how it works overseas. Earlier this week one Sydney publicist mentioned that 50percent of her guest list/s are non delegates.
Publicists appear to be thawing to the idea of bloggers. Which is great news. Because at the end of the day, they must surely realise that although the number of Australian newspapers, magazines and tv outlets covering RAFW has remained fairly static over the years, the number of independent online media outlets has grown exponentially. This coverage is new, additional exposure for all concerned.
Just a few of the great blogs that will be front and centre covering include, once again, Sonnyphotos (your go-to for the best backstage photography), also Imelda (the shoe expert - with an acerbic general fashion eye), Cultures In Between (an achingly cool indie perspective), the upwardly-mobile Sassisam, New Zealand's Aych and Isaaclikes and Sassybella.
There are many, many more, including etailer blogs (such as The Grand Social). I am flat out today and I am so sorry I don't have time to compile an exhaustive list, but please sing out in the comments so people know where to find you.
Best of luck to everyone with their coverage for the coming week.
I will do a post later today to clarify how frockwriter's multi-platform coverage will work this year. I am hoping this will make it easier to follow. Guys, I cannot do everything on Blogger. It's as simple as that.
In the interim, I have also included a Twitter widget to the RHS set to anyone referencing RAFW. If you are not familiar with Twitter, just click on the links highlighted in blue for more info about those people.
- ► 2013 (63)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- Rachel Rutt scores her second international cover ...
- Casting clout: Kannon Rajah carves up the show cir...
- Master blaster: Indie Kiwi startup asks "WTF has h...
- Letters from TED (x)
- Juliana forges ahead
- The models of RAFW
- World's spot of bother in Woollahra
- Sarah Jessica Parker gets down to Bassike
- The bloggers of RAFW Part 4: Imelda's Matt Jordan
- The bloggers of RAFW Part 3: Sassi Sam's Sam Winte...
- The bloggers of RAFW Part 2: An Australian Wintour...
- The bloggers of RAFW Part 1: Aych blog's Hannah Mc...
- ABC Art Nation's story on Sonny Vandevelde
- Dion Lee's fashion analysis
- Jayson's New Wave
- Manning Cartell's backstage drama
- Kate Sylvester's charming summer
- Sally Koeswanto and the Ready to Wear 2 show
- Kristie Lawrence's hot Flannel
- ABC Art Nation's story on fashion bloggers
- Gail Elliott rocks it out for Little Joe's Sydney ...
- Zimmermann's 'Vanishing Point'
- digital prints and huge silver neckpieces - zimmer...
- Christopher Esber, Australia's latest fashion star...
- Camilla Franks takes one big step forward at RAFW
- tammy stone (l) and greta chesterman backstage B4 ...
- Camilla SS1011 finale at RAFW
- Lisa Ho SS1011 finale at RAFW
- A new day dawns at RAFW
- jumpsuits rule at ginger + smart #RAFW
- samantha harris - about to open lisa ho, the first...
- RAFW SS1011 launched - and how to follow the cover...
- Bvlgari's 125 years of Italian jewels
- ABC Art Nation tracks fashion bloggers
- ▼ May 2010 (34)
- ► 2009 (415)
- ► 2008 (229)