Wednesday, June 16, 2010
Very sad news about Richard Bailey, who passed away yesterday at the age of 52 from cancer. By all accounts he was working right until the end. Bailey was one of the giants of Australian fashion photography, working with every major local magazine and retailer. Based in New York for 10 years, he also worked with GQ, Vanity Fair, Vogue Italia, Glamour, Grazia and Mademoiselle and his portfolio of advertising work spans The Gap, Victoria's Secret, Anne Klein, Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdale's, Macy's, Anne Taylor, Nautica, L'Oréal and Mercedes Benz. But Bailey's biggest showcase was by far Vogue Australia, with which he worked for 31 years. You only have to check his website, to see that the local edition accounts for over half the content of his magazine covers section.
It wasn't all safe, commercial work. Tsubi's controversial 2004 'Death Machine' calendar featured Bailey's colour-saturated images of semi-clad models, including Miranda Kerr and Michelle Leslie, posing provocatively against cars and motorbikes.
The previous year, for a book called 1/1, he shot a series of edgy, black and white images of Chic Management models, to prove the critics wrong that "There are no girls [read: decent models] in Australia".
Bailey of course lived to see Australian models take the world by storm. Many of them will be toasting him tonight.
He is survived by his wife Gillian and children Billie and Jasper.
all images/richard bailey.com.au
- ► 2013 (63)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- Booked: FASHION by Mitchell Oakley Smith
- Sylvie Markovina gets a hand from Kim Kardashian
- Gemma Ward, action star?
- Andrej Pejic mixes it up at Jean Paul Gaultier
- Burberry Prorsum Spring/Summer 2011 menswear show ...
- Meet Australia's next top male model Jordan Coulte...
- Charlotte Rampling, cover girl - at 64
- Vale Richard Bailey
- Zippora Seven gets Romantic with Gen Kay
- Tallulah Morton crams White Sands, Harpers Bazaar ...
- The extreme cheek of Italian Vogue
- Miranda Kerr definitely hooked up with Balenciaga ...
- Miranda's Balenciaga hat trick?
- Gemma Ward proves her moment is far from "over" by...
- Boots and all: Kirsten Carriol plans to bring back...
- Nutbush City Limits: Romance Was Born's "granular"...
- Social (fashion) workers
- Woollahra Council agrees it should lighten up, but...
- Every move she makes: Cassi van den Dungen stalked...
- Flake's Alexander McQueen fake
- Eye of the Tiger: Melise Williams rocks Nicola Fin...
- World number #1 Lara Stone lands triple Calvin Kle...
- Adidas, Beckham, Daft Punk and co do the Star Wars...
- Thurley's butterfly effect
- Zanita Whittington tastes life in the fat lane
- sass & bide get their motors running with Range Ro...
- Emma Balfour shoots Willow... and Céline?
- ▼ June 2010 (28)
- ► 2009 (415)
- ► 2008 (229)