Sunday, January 23, 2011
Karl Lagerfeld severed ties with H&M in part because the company wanted to produce his collection in large sizes, while he was reportedly only interested in designing “fashion for slender and slim people”. But it seems the Swedish fast fashion behemoth hasn’t let this rain on its plus size parade. From early March, H&M will offer a 20-unit capsule collection called, simply, Inclusive, which will be available in sizes 32-54 and sold exclusively online (these would appear to be Swedish sizes, which equate to an Australian 6-28). Many thanks to Runway Revolution for the headsup. Why online only? In 2008, when Australian designer Leona Edmiston decided to double her size range to a 24, coincidentally she also only offered the larger sizes online, after her research indicated that many larger women felt uncomfortable in boutiques.
After frockwriter (in her previous incarnation as Fully Chic) opened up what would become a rather heated discussion on the subject, others added in that many larger women in fact feel unwelcome in mainstream fashion boutiques.
Considering that so many fashion boutiques appear not to have much stock over a size 10, is that so very surprising?
So far H&M appears only to be shipping to Austria, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Holland, Norway, Sweden, Swedish Finland and the UK, but we have a hunch they may be about to be inundated with global enquiries.
The accompanying campaign features plus size Australian model Robyn Lawley (second from the top).
Great initiative. Adorable dresses. Not before time.
all images: H&M
- ► 2013 (64)
- ► 2012 (115)
- Marc by Marc Jacobs Spring/Summer 2011 by Juergen ...
- Gemma Ward to make her stage debut in The Ugly One...
- Meet the new girl, Emilia Skuza
- Andrej Pejic celebrated Australia Day on a Paris h...
- Trench coat glamour mafia: Andrej Pejic and Karoli...
- Wake in fright: Samantha Harris toughens up for Ka...
- The big league: H&M launches a plus size collectio...
- On their Marcs: Julia Nobis and Nick Hinman gear u...
- Andrej Pejic is James Blond
- Sophie Lowe, Krew Boylan and co get down to basics...
- Fur realz - Fall/Winter 2011/2012
- Calvin Klein gets back into the movie business ahe...
- When Abbey met Tom
- Lawrence of architectura: Emma Balfour tones it do...
- Onya Anja
- Rosemary Smith and Ajak Deng check into V69
- Alison Veness-McGourty out at Grazia
- Cat gets the Tweety Bird
- Sasha Knezevic popped the question to Anja Rubik a...
- Tom Ford's eyes-only debut womenswear collection i...
- Andrej Pejic and Ginta Lapina rock the casbah for ...
- ▼ January 2011 (21)
- ► 2010 (330)
- ► 2009 (415)
- ► 2008 (229)